COCONUT Lime Chicken? Yes PLEASE!
We eat a lot of chicken. A lot. So, thank goodness I found another chicken recipe that is DELISH, healthy, easy to make, and even better the next day if you have leftovers - the flavor is amazing.
This dish has a Thai influence, but I keep out the curry. I personally don't care for curry and you won't miss it with the turmeric - which is so very good for your heart and joints. Even with red pepper flakes it's relatively mild (you can reduce RPF to half if you want). We served it with rice, but it would also be amazing over zucchini noodles, rice noodles, even spiraled sweet pottaoes. This recipe is also gluten free if that is a concern.
COCONUT LIME CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
- 2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken stock (broth ok too)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk (you can use reduced fat, but you will have thinner sauce)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp corn starch mixed into 1 -2 tbsp water (depends on how thick you want sauce)
COCONUT LIME CHICKEN STEPS
- Melt oil in a large non-stick skillet over a medium high heat; Add the chicken breasts (I butterfly them), sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook each side for 5 minutes on each side; Remove chicken from a skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Add the chopped onion to the same skillet and sauté for a few minutes to soften; Add chicken stock, lime juice, and chili flakes; Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce down to a simmer. Let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk (make sure you shake the can very well before you open it, if still clumpy just stir it well) and the turmeric and bring to simmer again for approx 3 minutes; Add add half of the corn starch and water mixture and cook, then other half if you want it thicker; Once the sauce thickens reduce it back down to a simmer.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, cover and let cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.