SWEET & SPICY Slow-Cooker CHICKEN Breasts
I'm always looking for more slow-cooker healthy recipes and this one that I 'tweaked' from a magazine is YUMMY. It's easy, gluten free (use gluten free soy sauce), and there are multiple ways to serve it based on your likes and dislikes.
First, instead of using chicken thighs (although you can), I use chicken breasts as I find them more versatile if you want to turn the leftovers into a second meal - also, chicken breasts are slightly healthier. With that said, you will not have the fat associated with skin on chicken thighs, so you will need to add some liquid to the crock to achieve moist meat.
Therefore, I added fresh orange juice, hot sauce and soy sauce to give a slight Korean BBQ flavor to the chicken. I added cubed onion and ground ginger for more flavor. I have to say, it came out AMAZING and you can adjust the spiciness depending on your liking (see below).
SWEET & SPICY Slow-Cooker CHICKEN Ingredients:
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cubed onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce (use GF soy sauce if you want recipe GF)
- Texas Pete's hot sauce (2 tsp for very mild; 1 tbsp for medium; 2+ tbsp for hot)
SWEET & SPICY Slow-Cooker CHICKEN Steps:
- cut your chicken breasts into halves; add the chicken and cubed onion to your cooking spray coated crock
- whisk or shake the remaining ingredients together; minced garlic, salt, black pepper, ground ginger, orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, and Texas Pete's hot sauce (amount based on how much heat you'd like)
- add sauce on top of chicken and onion; cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours
A few Serving ideas: over a serving of my healthy slaw (see slaw recipe under sides) with roasted broccoli; over grilled romaine lettuce topped with sliced cucumbers and mandarin orange segments; over rice with chopped scallions;