YUMMY One-Pan Ground BEEF Lettuce Wraps
You can skip all my text below and just go down to the recipe. This one is THAT good. I'm serious. I do love a good lettuce wrap, but this blew the other ones I have had OUT! This will be on our weekly rotation for a while....15 minutes prep (that can be done earlier in the day) and literally 10 minutes cooking time once prep done. So in less than 30 minutes, this is great as a meal, or a heavy appetizer. It is healthy, gluten free (see below), low fat, low carb, HIGH flavor!
Beef can get a bad wrap sometimes, but this protein-rich, iron-rich food can be a healthy addition to your diet, IF you do it right. It's loaded with nutrients and antioxidants, including zinc, vitamin B6, and alpha lipoic acid. A 3oz serving of 95% lean ground beef has just 164 calories and 4.5g of fat, but offers up 24g of protein. I often choose lean ground beef over turkey, not only because I like the flavor better (not a fan of turkey), but because when you compare ground turkey with its lean beef counterpart, they’re relatively even. So why not?
This is a GREAT recipe to utilize lean ground beef since you do not need the fat in the beef like you may when grilling, and the flavor here is jam PACKED! I'm serious, these lettuce wraps are AMAZING! You won't miss a thing - not the fat, calories, flavor, nada! We devoured this dish tonight, literally neither of us talked to one another....just relished in the OMG "this is SOOO good" moment.
Serve this meat and veggie mixture up in some bib lettuce and you have a healthy, protein packed, gluten free (if you use GF soy sauce), low-carb, DELISH dinner (or appetizer) sure to please anyone (except a vegan or vegetarian haha - although feel free to swap meatless crumble for ground beef if you prefer).
This recipe is now on our dinner ROTATION for the warmer months as it is satisfying without being HEAVY. If there is a veggie in the list below you do not like, also feel free to swap - just make sure it is chopped or in very small pieces (a few other options: diced bell pepper, shredded cabbage or petite peas).
Ground BEEF Lettuce Wraps Ingredients
- 1 pound lean (93-95%), grass-fed ground beef
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (use GF to make this recipe GF)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar (or honey, I prefer brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/2 - 3/4 C chopped carrots
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Bibb lettuce leaves for serving
- Hoisin sauce (a must, it's amazing - see below)
Ground BEEF Lettuce Wraps Steps
- chop the veggies (carrots, water chestnuts, onion)
- coat a large skillet with cooking spray; over medium-high heat add the ground beef and chopped onions; break up meat
- while meat is cooking, whisk soy sauce, honey (or brown sugar), rice vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon ground ginger in a bowl; set aside (you can also do this earlier)
- once beef and onion mixture is cooked (you should not have to drain the pan if you use 93% or leaner ground beef), add the remaining chopped veggies to the pan, black pepper and stir to combine for a couple more minutes; then add sauce mixture and cook 2 more minutes
- serve with bib lettuce and serve with the homemade hoisin sauce (see additional recipe below)
Homemade Hoisin Sauce (combine all ingredients)
- 4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (use GF to make this recipe GF)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp honey or molasses
- 2 tsp white wine or rice vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil / avocado oil does well also
- 8-10 drops hot sauce (Texas Pete)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper