are you pulling my CHORK?
Now this is a recipe you'll make all year round, despite the weather. It is my pulled CHORK (mix of chicken breasts and pork tenderloin) and it's easy, healthy and delicious! You simply layer the ingredients in your crock-pot in the morning and in about 7 hours it is ready! It is Gluten Free and because I do not use typical bottled sauce, it is way lower in sugar and free from corn syrup and additives.
This multi-purpose recipe is something I use for entertaining quite frequently as it is great for parties! Unless you don't eat meat, this is something everyone will enjoy. My pulled CHORK is also something I make if I want to prepare a few dinners ahead of time for the work week. You can eat this plain with sides, as sandwiches, stuff it in tacos or enchiladas - you get the picture. This is not a 'pulled BBQ' recipe, it has its own unique flavor that will adapt to 'left-over' recipes very easily.
Like several of my other recipes, I have a couple variations. The main 'CHORK steps' below are followed whether I am serving it all at once or preparing it for a few dinners ahead of time. I will then give you the 'extra SAUCE steps'. I always make the extra sauce, but the only difference is I do not mix all the shredded meat with the sauce if I plan on making something other than just CHORK or sandwiches (enchiladas for example). In that case, I'd set some of the meat aside in the refrigerator for another day.
- 1 unseasoned pork tenderloin (@ 1.75 pounds)
- 1 package chicken breasts (@ 1.25 pounds)
- 1 large onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 9 oz of plain tomato paste
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
*you will also need: crock-pot; immersion blender / hand blender (if you do not have one of these you can transfer the SAUCE ingredients into a standard blender); this recipe is Gluten Free
- chop the onion and red bell peppers into large pieces and place them in the bottom of the crock-pot with the black pepper and sea salt
- place the chicken breasts and pork tenderloin (fat side down if it has one) on top of the onions and peppers
- in a bowl mix the honey, red wine vinegar, 6 oz tomato paste, chicken broth, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili pepper flakes and garlic salt together
- pour the sauce on top of the meat and turn your crock-pot on low
- cover and cook (on low) for approximately 7 hours
- remove the meat carefully with tongs, place in a bowl and shred the meat with two forks
- see extra SAUCE steps below
extra SAUCE steps:
- once meat is removed, remove half of the remaining liquid in the pot (about 1.5 cups). Be careful not to remove the onions and peppers, you want those to stay in there
- add approximately 1/2 can (3 oz or 5 tbsp) of plain tomato paste to liquid and use your immersion blender/hand blender to break down the peppers and onions into the liquid
- add the sauce by half cup to your shredded meat bowl until the desired consistency is reached (important. why? some like it dryer, so by adding it this way you control the amount. If you add the meat back into the crock-pot directly (which you can) you risk a more wet mixture, but you can do that)
- spoon into a serving dish and enjoy (I made yummy sliders with mine)